Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wandering Through Panama (Day 8) - Playa Barqueta

A short trip on day 8 to La Barqueta for a quiet beach day.  Leaving Gran Nacional, make a right out of the parking lot and a right at the first street and it is a straight shot to the beach, about 15 km.
We were a few minutes down the road when Sally asked me if I have my passport.  I said no and it was not 2 minutes later that a member of the Policia Nacional was standing in the middle of the road checking IDs.  I told him that we were told to never carry our passport (actually we should have had a copy - that is what was recommended in Costa Rica).  He was cool. I said I could easily go back to the hotel and get the passports but he said not to worry.
Anyway, when in Panama it is recommended to carry your passport or even better,a copy of your passport.

We stopped at the Las Olas resort on the beach just to look around.  We had planned on staying there for 3 nights but then decided that staying in a "resort" is not the right way to see a country.

A picture from the beach in front of Las Olas




This was a spectacular beach, several miles of nothing (to the East) but sand.  The water was beautiful and a little cooler than the water around Coronado.  It was refreshing but not cold.  The water actually reminded me of the water at Daytona Beach, with a nice offshore break and good waves for body surfing.  The only knock on the beach is the sand is dark as opposed to white sand.

Just down from the resort were a couple of restaurants.  We met the owner of the one where we ate, Benny's Place.  Benny was an interesting guy.  When I told him I was thinking of moving to Panama, he offered to rent me a room in his house, right on the beach.  He also offered to sell me one of his trucks.  It was a nice offer but I think I will be better off making my own arrangements.

A couple of pictures from the restaurant:





The beach to the West of the restaurant had gated community of upscale beach houses (this is where Benny lives).

 Anyway, it was a nice relaxed day at the beach in preparation for a drive to Pedasi the next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment